If I’m in an accident at work, what do I do?

The first thing you need to do is report the accident to any supervisor in writing that you have been injured. This notice must be given to your employer within 15 days of the accident. Your employer should have a poster posted in a conspicuous place that has notice of accident forms stapled to it. Go to this poster and pull off a notice of accident form. The form will ask for the date of accident, a description of the accident, and have a line for you to sign. Fill it out, and then take it to any supervisor and ask the supervisor to sign it. Be sure to keep a copy of the notice form.

If you cannot find the notice of accident form, take a blank piece of paper and write at the top  “Notice of Accident” and write down the date of the accident and a description of the accident. Sign it, make a copy to keep for yourself, and then give it to a supervisor.

Keep your copy of the notice of accident form in a safe place. You may need it later to prove you gave your employer notice of accident.

IMPORTANT: If you do not give written notice of the accident within 15 days, your claim for benefits may be barred.

The second thing you need to do is seek medical care for your injuries.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.